DIY vs Professional Hair Removal in Singapore
Hair Removal in Singapore: DIY vs. Professional
What is the best body hair removal? Unwanted hair all over the body, including on the chest, back, hands, feet and face, especially for women is embarrassing and it damages someone’s self-confidence. This is the same exact reason many are looking for a permanent solution to this problem. Some of them resort to DIY remedies, while others seek professional help for good permanent hair removal. Check out the following for your guidance.
Common DIY Methods
Known as the most common technique, shaving is used by women looking to target their facial, leg and arm hair. Sometimes, they also use this method in getting rid of pubic hair.
- Cheapest type of depilation (done above the pore’s level)
- Results to satisfactory appearance when performed properly
- Only materials needed are a razor and a shaving cream or gel
- Should be repeated twice a week because hair grows back in as short as one to three days
- May result to skin irritation, including burns
- May lead to ingrown hairs, the main side effect of shaving
- One may cut himself accidentally
- New hair grows and curls around growing within the surrounding tissue and not out of the follicle
- Ineffective, inconvenient and time-consuming
This is done by using tweezers that grip and pull the hair out while you’re stretching skin tightly.
- Results may last between three and eight weeks
- Inexpensive with only a pair of tweezers needed
- Time-consuming because you have to pull hair one at a time
- Can be painful
- May lead to ingrown hairs if the hair breaks off below the skin’s surface
- May cause red bumps due to irritated and swollen hair follicle
- Not a good idea, especially for eyebrows
- May result to infection if someone uses non-sterilized tweezers
These products, like Veet, are creams that can remove hair only from the skin’s surface, dissolving and washing it away.
- Results may last between one to two weeks
- Works quickly
- Can be bought over the counter from pharmacies and grocery stores
- Ideal for the legs, underarm and bikini areas
- Has bad odor
- May cause skin irritation, such as inflammation and rashes, due to the product’s chemical content
- Might not work for people with coarse hair
Using a sticky wax, waxing is done by using a cloth strip, which is applied with wax before a user applies it over skin and pulls it off eventually to take out both dead skin cells and hair roots.
- Results may last a couple of weeks
- Leaves skin smooth-looking
- Easy to buy and readily available in kits from grocery stores and drugstores
- Causes discomfort and pain
- May result to bumps, inflammation and redness
- Might not be ideal to those taking acne medications because they can make their skin more prone to irritation
- Definitely not for sensitive skin
Professional Hair Removal Methods
One of the best and most effective professional methods, laser is effective for all hair types, including coarse hair, which may not respond to the DIY techniques.
- Long-lasting, making it effective even to those with busy schedules
- Takes only a couple of minutes for treatment
- Targets treatment area, including the legs, underarms and back effectively due to precise laser beams used in the treatment
- 100 percent safe
- May be more expensive than other conventional treatments [but results are longer lasting so it may be worth more than the spending to incur from conventional techniques]
- May require at least four treatments spaced between four to six weeks apart for permanent results [varies depending on individual case]
- Can permanently get rid of unwanted hair after at least six sessions
- Works effectively for patients with dark hair and fair skin because it can target the melanin in the hair precisely
- May not be for people with white, red or grey hair
- Laser treatment may be more effective than this procedure because IPL creates only a shallow penetration, but laser works deeper and targets thicker hairs
This procedure is done by a professional through the use of a tiny needle, which possesses an electric current that is then passed on to the hair follicle.
- Can be performed on any body part
- May be good because it can destroy the hair follicle to stop hair growth through the production of sodium hydroxide or heat
- Completely painless
- Targets each hair follicle effectively for precise results
- Multiple treatments result to permanent status
- Pigmentation may appear on the treatment area
- May be arduous and time-consuming especially when used for removing hair on the back
So which is better: DIY or professional solutions?
Factoring in time, professional methods are better, especially in terms of permanent facial hair removal. You can just imagine how much time you would spend to repeat the same procedure like shaving to get rid of unwanted facial hair over again! No harmful chemicals involved with professional laser treatment unlike with a cream that contains strong synthetic ingredients that lead to skin irritation, including redness and inflammation.
Results are long lasting with professional techniques unlike with a home remedy, such as shaving wherein hair grows back in a matter of one to three days.
Home remedies including plucking are painful, too, but not with IPL or laser technology. Not only that plucking causes skin sting, it also requires too much time, unlike a professional treatment, which session can last for only up to five minutes. So to sum it up,
DIY treatments are:
- Time consuming
- May be painful and cause discomfort
- May lead to rashes, redness, inflammation and other skin irritations
- May be costly when you count all the money you shell out for repeat treatments, such as with creams
- Inefficient and ineffective for permanent results
Professional hair removal is:
- Long-lasting results after a couple of treatment sessions
- Minimally to completely painless
- Does not harm the skin because it only targets only the treatment areas
Now that you know the difference between home remedies and professional techniques, you can start weighing your options and select the best permanent hair removal program today!