10 Side Effects From DIY Hair Removal
DIY HAIR REMOVAL SIDE EFFECTS
Unwanted body hair on the legs, underarms, back, face and hands are annoying. It degrades someone’s self-confidence, especially women who are embarrassed with their hairy ‘man-like’ appearance. To get rid of the problem, many of them resort to ineffective home hair removal, composed of shaving, plucking and waxing, among others that come with side effects that we’re revealing in today’s blog.
What Are the 10 Side Effects of DIY Hair Removal?
- Razor burns: This happens to women who shave the hair on the underarms, legs and back, among other body parts. By using a razor, electric or manual, it removes hair from the hair shaft that has grown through the skin. While shaving may result to hair removal, it may also cause burns that you can notice with the redness and bumps on your skin’s surface.
- Skin irritation: Plucking causes irritation, including inflammation, bumps and redness. Although it is inexpensive using only tweezers to eliminate unwanted hair on the eyebrows, underarms and body, skin irritation often follows. Not only plucking leads to this problem but also facial hair removal creams because they contain chemicals that can irritate, damage and cause inflammation and redness to the skin. Therefore, hair removal creams are not ideal especially for individuals with sensitive skin that is prone to irritation, including rashes and burns.
- Allergic reaction: While depilatories work to dissolve and wash hair away especially when used for underarm hair removal, they can cause an allergic reaction, not mentioning they also possess foul odor. The problem magnifies if you have sensitive skin, which has a higher tendency to developing allergic reactions such as rashes and inflammation because of the product’s chemical content.
- Ingrown hairs: Aside from the fact that plucking is painful, it also leads to the development of ingrown hairs if you break off the hair below your skin.
The problem with ingrown hair becomes worse with repeated and frequent shaving, not mentioning you may have to shave twice a week for a smooth skin appearance because hair grows back in a matter of one to three days.
To eliminate the issue, you might want to switch to permanent hair removal treatment in Singapore, such as a laser hair removal that precisely targets only the treatment areas, leading to accurate results.[*Ingrown hair grows within the surrounding tissue and not from the hair follicles.]
- Red bumps: Home remedies, including plucking, cause red bumps, something that occurs due to the irritated and swollen hair follicle. The problem gets worse if you don’t notice it but you pluck over again, leading to a far more inconceivable skin irritation.
- Painful: While DIY techniques can be for unlimited underarm hair removal, they are painful. Waxing that requires pulling hair using a waxed or sugared cloth that causes sting and discomfort. This pain may also lead to red bumps and skin inflammation.
And you don’t want to deal with this pain, do you? The pain can cause more problems especially for those with sensitive skin that can also develop rashes later on.
- Accidental cuts: DIY hair removal techniques, such as shaving, may also pose dangers because you may cut yourself in the process. So instead of achieving hair removal results, you may also have to deal with cuts aside from body hair.
- Infection: This is a common problem with tweezing, an equally common solution for hair removal. Infections develop when you use a non-sterilized pair of tweezers. So instead of dealing with just unwanted hair, you may also have to buy another product to treat the skin infection. This is both downright impractical and unsightly, so you may want to turn to other treatments to bring positive results like laser hair removal.
- Adverse effects for acne patients: Waxing is not ideal especially for patients taking acne medications, including Isotretinoin and Tretinoin, because such medications can lead to skin irritation. [Not only that waxing isn’t suitable for acne patients, it shouldn’t also be used for people with sunburn and moles.]
- Discomfort: Plucking and waxing, to name a few, cause discomfort that is sometimes unbearable, especially if you would have to deal with it for a longer time to get rid of hair on a larger body part.
DIY treatments also give temporary results. Although this isn’t considered as a physical side effect, it is another drawback of most home hair removal like shaving that does not bring any long lasting results because such only lasts for one to three days. The same goes with plucking wherein results can be as short as three weeks.
Therefore, home remedies against unwanted hair are very inconvenient because you always have to deal with the same problem over again for the rest of your life if you won’t switch to a permanent hair removal like IPL, which results can be permanent only after a couple of sessions spaced at four weeks each.
Home hair removal is also impractical, another non-physical side effect of DIY hair removal that is worth knowing of if you are looking for a good solution. With these techniques, including plucking, shaving and waxing, you get rid of hair, but you don’t get permanent results. In this case, you spend for the same issue over again wasting not only your effort and time but also your money. Permanent Hair Removal Methods like IPL and Laser might seem hefty initially but they are worth every single cent when you see the results.
There you have the 10 side effects of home hair removal that you won’t want to deal with forever. Aside from the fact that many of them are time-consuming, painful and ineffective, they also don’t suit your modern lifestyle because they’re inefficient, resulting to temporary results and requiring frequent applications to get rid of unwanted hair.
You don’t have to deal with any of these side effects by switching to a more permanent and practical solution that a certified and licensed hair removal clinic in Singapore can give. Seek for professional help when it comes to permanent IPL hair removal that helps you achieve long-lasting results in a matter of at least four sessions.
Consult an expert in IPL hair removal in Singapore and get rid of unwanted hair for good today!